Bread & Butter Pudding
The ideal recipe for hungry children.
12 slices white bread, with crust removed
Butter (enough to butter the bread with)
500ml (2 cups) milk
60g Brown Sugar
A few drops vanilla essence
Brown Sugar for sprinkling
. Butter the bread slices and cut into quarters.
2. Layer bread (butter sides upwards) sprinkled with raisins and sultanas in an ovenproof dish.
3. Beat the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla essence together.
4. Pour gently over the bread and fruit.
5. Sprinkle a little ground nutmeg over the top.
6. Leave for half an hour for the custard to properly soak into the bread.
7. Bake in a preheated oven 180ºC for approximately 1 hour until golden brown and set.
8. Sprinkle more sugar over the top before serving.
• If you have time, gently boil the raisins and sultanas in a little orange juice before adding to the bread.